HMS Techbrary Resources
Family Fun Activities
What to do with all that time?
School breaks don't need to be boring - they can be great opportunities to bond as a family and make some great memories. The following list below is just a few "get started tips" for you to try.
1. Make popcorn and watch a movie.
2. Make play dough. (
click for instructions
3. Sign up for a walk or run for a cause.
4. Write letters to soldiers.
5. Go to the library and take out books, rent books on tape and movies.
5. Take a trip to the museum.
6.Have coloring contests.
Plan a picnic indoors.
8. Have breakfast food for dinner.
9. Hold cooking classes in your own kitchen, invite friends.
10. Go biking or sledding.
11. Share favorite birthday and vacation stories.
12. Have students write a letter to include in family Christmas cards.
13. Paint bedrooms.
14. Learn magic tricks together and put on a show.
15. Rent dance videos and hold a dance contest.
16. Have a photo taking contest. Share cameras.
17. Create books using pictures from magazines.
18. Visit nursing homes, bring musical instruments and put on a show.
19. Volunteer at the local food pantry or animal shelters.
20. Make cupcakes and have a decorating party.
21. Make your own banana splits with all kinds of toppings and sprinkles.
22. Make smoothies.
23. Create awards at awardwinner.com
24. Download free e-books.
25. Play online games together.
26. Make bubbles.
27. Hold a family game night.
28. Go on a hike or nature walk.
29. Design a family website.
30. Make a book with family pictures and essays.
31. Ride bikes in another city.
32. Go rollerblading.
33. Attend free festivals.
34. Attend free concerts.
35. Press flowers and make cards.
36. Decorate thank-you notes, write messages inside, put stamps on envelopes they will be ready to go as needed.
37. Decorate placemats on construction paper and cover with contact paper.
38. Play charades.
39. Decorate small notebooks and begin daily journal.
40. Organize dresser drawers.
41. Clean bedrooms.
42. Draw pictures and mail to other family members.
43. Finger paint with pudding.
44. Collect rocks and paint them.
45. Tie dye T-shirts and matching socks
46. Share daydreams.
47. Rent a yoga video for kids.
48. Rent dance videos and have a contest after practicing.
49. Make a bird feeder.
50. Wash the family cars together (weather permitting of course!)
51. Make macaroni jewelry and art.
52. Visit playgrounds and local parks.
53. Visit a working farm.
54. Take nature walks.
55. Go fishing or hunting.
56. Arrange photo albums.
57. Play flashlight tag.
58. Practice musical instruments or
learn how to play the guitar
59. Do brain teasers.
60. Make gift cards.
61. Make birthday cards.
62. Trace cookie cutters, decorate and cut out.
63. Write stories about past family events you have in photo albums.
64. Play card games.
65. Decorate clay pots.
66. Plant flowers in the decorated pots.
67. Do jigsaw puzzles.
68. Sleep outside under the stars (weather permitting)
69. Set up and sleep in a tent indoors.
70. Research a new hobby at the library.
71. Play a family memory game. ie What are the name of your great-grandparents?
72. Make a collage of what you are thankful for.
73. Make paper bag puppets.
74. Write love and appreciation letters to each other.
75. Cut out coupons together.
76. Read to each other from joke books.
77. Make friendship pins.
78. Make potato stamp art.
79. Play scrabble.
80. Do science experiments
Create a secret family code.
82. Plan next summer's vacation.
83. Go bowling.
84. Play indoor golf.
85. Play broom ball.
86. Practice and become good at hacky sack.
87. Each child collects things they don't use anymore. Play bingo and choose things for prizes.
88. Have a fashion show.
89. Study a topic and hold a debate.
90. Tour a city.
91. Visit a beekeeper (not in the winter).
92. Visit a farmer's market.
93. Visit a flea market.
94. Visit an auction.
95. Watch a sporting event you've never seen before.
96. Learn how to use a compass and practice your skills.
97. Try to break a world record.
98. Go on a scavenger hunt.
99. Write notes in invisible ink.
100. Play charades.